Thursday, September 24, 2009

To FanFic or Not to FanFic

So, I wrote some fanfic the other day for ASOIAF. It was my first attempt at fanfic of any kind, ASOIAF or otherwise. But I guess the word on the street is that Martin doesn't like fanfic being written for his books so I'm unsure whether I should make my fic public or not.

On one hand, I don't want to piss off an author whose work I really love by going against his wishes and publishing my fanfic.

On the other hand, I think it's kinda silly that Martin doesn't want people writing fanfic for ASOIAF. I think his reasoning (i.e.: that people shouldn't waste time on fanfic when they could be writing their own original work) is weak and it's frustrating because one of the fun things for fans when it comes to huge, detailed fantasy worlds is being able to create stories of our own in this world we love. I mean, how is fanfic any different from writing a big RPG campaign set in Westeros and including ASOIAF characters? From my position, not much difference.

But still, I also believe in respecting the original author's position.

What to do, what to do....

Also: Lea, what page are you on?

2 comments:

Lea said...

Page 634

Just finished that Victarion chapter and DNW Euron/Danaerys or Vicatarion/Danaerys. Ew

Martin is so stupid about the fanfic thing. It legit kind of makes me pissed off when I think about it. You are so right about the RPG thing and you can actually go BUY RPG books in the store (do you see where I'm going with this?). Post your fic. From what I read so far, it's fantastic. Good ASOIAF fanfiction needs to be shared with the world. Screw "the mountain that never writes" ;)

Lea said...

I spelled Daenerys wrong. FAIL