I recently finished Pat Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind (gotta do something while we wait for GRRM to finish ADWD) and thought it was pretty darn excellent. So excellent, in fact, that I want to discuss it with someone.
Lea started reading the book around the same time I did, but of course, my superior reading skills (a.k.a: my copious amounts of free time seeing as I have no life) have allowed me to finish the book before her.
BUT I NEED TO TALK ABOUT THIS AMAZING BOOK WITH SOMEBODY!!!
So please, Lea, finish The Name of the Wind so I can talk about it with you.
WARNING: SPOILERS IN THE COMMENTS THREAD!
8 comments:
I'm pretty sure I started before you too. Again. lol i r slow ;)
I'm almost to the end though! I'm on chapter 75!
OMG!!! Did Kvothe go to the town and investigate the wedding yet??? Best part of the book, IMO.
And yeah, you slow. ;)
Yes! They just discovered the dragon! :D
i hope we're not spoiling this for anyone, heh
Not only the dragon, but how about how the Chandrians killed all those people at the wedding!!!! That shit freaked me out!
Heh, yeah, I guess this thread is a little spoilery. I'll make a note of it in the main post.
Pat seems like a nice guy and if his blog is anything to judge by he's rather amusing, but he writes at about the same speed as George RR Martin. What's it been now? 3 years for the 2nd book in a trilogy that was supposedly already completed by the time the first book was published.
I've heard such great things about that book, but NOTHING HAPPENS in the first few chapters! This might just be evidence of ADD on my part, but I've made two attempts to start that book and failed to get fifty pages in both times.
I got through the whole thing, JJ, but failed to see what all the hype was about. It was adequate and that was the best it got. He writes nicely, but that isn't worth the buzz this book generated. The Lies of Locke Lamora on the other hand completely blew me away.
The book is definitely a slow burn. I didn't really get into things until the Chandrian showed up (and that's all I'll say about that, heh).
Rothfuss has been pretty slow himself when it comes to writing books that were supposedly finished years ago, but I don't mind as much with him because he keeps his fans updated and is friendly with them. Also, three years < five-plus years. So there's that.
I haven't been reading much adult fantasy lately beyond ASOIAF (I've been reading film books and YA stuff like Harry Potter), so I found Name of the Wind to be a well-written, original work, with a strong main character in Kvothe. I like character-driven works.
But I wouldn't say it's the best thing ever written and nowhere near the level of a legend like Tolkien. The praise for Rothfuss has been pretty extreme. Of course, I think the praise for GRRM is extreme as well and I don't think ASOIAF is anywhere near Tolkien's level either.
Post a Comment