Saturday, October 17, 2009

Finished :)

I don't get the ending though :/

9 comments:

Mrs. Jennifer Zbytowski said...

WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!

yeah, the ending? whiskey tango foxtrot ;)

Lea said...

wait so, Pate was killed at the beginning? but he was alive at the end? What? I'm confused. I mean, what's the significance of it all?

Shloz said...

Just think about what happened to Pate in the prologue... and who did it to him. Have we seen someone like that before...?

;-) Once you figure it out, it becomes quite awesome. A nice end to a not-so-amazing book.

Lea said...

...

Uh. I just reread the prologue. I still don't get it. Does it have something to do with the Faceless Men?

i r dum

Mrs. Jennifer Zbytowski said...

Yeah, it's a Faceless Man who kills Pate and then assumes his identity. And that's the person Sam meets at the end of the book. Um, I think...

Shloz, help us out! :D (btw, thanks for visiting the blog -- we didn't think anyone else was reading, hence the ridiculous Jaime flame war post below, lol)

Basically, even though I think this ending presents a very interesting and mysterious plot line going forward, I'm kinda annoyed that it's very hard to understand on first reading. The "Holy Sh$#!" moment should happen *as you are reading it*, not after the fact and a couple hours spent on the internet reading explanations. It's one of the reasons why I think this book is such a drop off in quality from the first three. The pacing is messed up and the "big reveals" are confusing/unclear.

I consider myself a smart, detail-oriented reader and I had no freaking clue what had happened at the end and what it's significance was until I went online and read about it at the Westeros board.

You are not alone in dumness, mind grapes. :)

Shloz said...

You pretty much hit it on the head, Jenni. I don't know, but I realized as soon as we saw "Pate" in the last few lines that Pate's killer took on his identity. That makes a great foreboding ending, since we now realize that the Faceless Man's real target is somewhere in Marwyn's tower. Who is it? Marwyn? Alleras? Sam?
Or could the FM be after something, instead of someone, in the tower?

But what makes it best is that once I knew that a FM was involved, I went back and checked his description in the prologue and hit gold (WARNING: "SPOILER" AHEAD!!!):











His description is exactly the new face that "Jaqen H'ghar" took on in front of Arya way back in Clash of Kings. From what he said then, coupled with the words of the spirit of the hills from Storm of Swords, it's likely that he was also responsible for the death of Balon Greyjoy.

Hope that helps! Enjoy re-reading (and re-reading, and re-reading, etc.)!

Lea said...

Oh my god! Wow, great catch, Shloz! Thanks for explaining it for me. So many things in this book go completely over my head, so this was really helpful.

I am certainly going to have to reread many many times :)

Stacy said...

You have to read the books something like 10 times to pick up on some of this stuff. Like the whole question about Jon's parentage...totally missed it! Glad you finished the book!

BTW, I could go either for Jaime or the Blackfish (I dig sex older men)!

Lea said...

Hee! Yes, I expect a lot of rereading in my future. And I did not catch the Jon parentage thing until someone explained it to me. So many things go over my head.

Ha! You have good taste! Jenni will be happy you mentioned Blackfish. I will forever be a Jaime fangirl :)