Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Freaking Out! (in a good way)



YES!!!!!!!!!

Nine episodes, plus the pilot. Debuts next spring.

Winter is indeed coming and I cannot wait!

8 comments:

Lea said...

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

ASLD;FKJLSDKJF;LKASJDFLKJSADL;KJFLASDJFL;ASDJFL;ASDJF;LASDJF;LASFSD

JJ said...

Excellent news.

A couple of posts ago, Jenni suggested the series' writers should deviate from the novels in some areas. This got me thinking about what could be changed, and this one idea occured to me:

Tywin, not Tyrion, marries Sansa in the third season. Think about it, then tell me if I'm crazy or brilliant or whatever.

(Patrick Stewart as Tywin, btw.)

Mrs. Jennifer Zbytowski said...

Patrick Stewart as Tywin, or if he's not available, I'll take Charles Dance. Nothing short of these two will do! Are you listening, HBO? Make it so. ;)

But I don't know about Tywin marrying Sansa. Unless they age the children up a considerable bit (i.e.: Sansa is at least 16/17 years old in the show), I think it would be too icky. I mean, Tyrion doesn't consummate the relationship because Tyrion is somewhat of a gentleman and has a heart.

Tywin, on the other hand, would have no such qualms about having sex with Sansa and I'm not sure I could handle it if the show went there. I mean, I watched Rome when it was on HBO, and they went as hardcore as incest (heh, Game of Thrones will have no problem with that!), but I don't think they ever went as far as pedophilia. It's just too icky.

Also, there would be the problem of what happens if Sansa conceives a child by Tywin. That would diverge quite a bit from Martin's original storyline.

And without the Sansa/Tyrion marriage, do we get the same storyline of Tyrion being accused of conspiring with Sansa to kill Joffrey? I guess Cersei can just blame Tyrion even without the added involvement of Sansa, but I actually really like the whole Tyrion/Sansa dynamic there, so I'd like the show to keep it as is.

But I like the creativity of thought, JJ!

I'd actually like to see Tywin not be killed by Tyrion and have him last longer as a villain. What if CERSEI kills Tywin later in season four??? That might be kinda cool. He's going to marry her off and she just can't stand it, so she kills her father and seizes power. It might actually make her more sympathetic, heh.

JJ said...

Yeah, Jenni, now that you point it out, I see it would take away from Tyrion's story too much and, ultimately, Tyrion is a main character; Tywin is not.

Your idea is pretty cool, though. I do like Tyrion's final showdown with Tywin, but Cercei could also have a dramatic faceoff him. The point is, the adaptation has room to breathe while still being faithful. Fingers crossed it'll all turn out okay!

p.s. Who should play Littlefinger?

JJ said...

I nominate James Callis, for three reasons:

a) He would kill in the role.

b) He is one of the few British actors I'm familiar with.

c) There is no way his show, Flashforward, is getting renewed (not with the ratings it's getting) so he'll be available.

Lea said...

I remember someone suggesting James Callis for Littlefinger a long time ago, and I've pretty much been on that train ever since, heh.

The only problem is that he's SO good at turning morally ambiguous almost-villains into sympathetic characters, that I'm afraid I'll end up liking Littlefinger. And I don't want to do that, heh.

JJ said...

Rats, James Callis is going to be on Eureka next season.

Boo-urns :(.

Mrs. Jennifer Zbytowski said...

Yeah, I just saw that. I'm actually hoping the show runners cast mostly unknowns/lesserknowns for the rest of the parts. Sometimes if a cast member is already too well-known, it makes it harder to look past the actor and see the character.

I have this problem with Jonathon Rhys Meyers on The Tudors. I just could never get past the actor and see the character of Henry VIII. Also, I think it'll be really cool for some of these actors to become famous for the characters they're going to play on Game of Thrones, i.e.: the way James Gandolfini IS Tony Soprano